I am Professor of Computational Statistics at the department of statistics at LMU Munich. I like to work in data science, machine learning and everything computational in statistics. nd my offical contact details her
Institut für Statistik Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München Ludwigstraße 33 D-80539 München Room 341, 3rd floor Phone: +49 89 2180 3165
eMail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
No specific hours. Either visit me directly or send an email.
- June 2015: Was appointed Professor of “Computational Statistics” at LMU.
- WS 2014/15: Back in Dortmund again. Substitute professorship “Mathematical Statistics and Applications in Industry” at this department.
- SS 2014: Substitute professorship “Computational Statistics” at the LMU in Munich.
- Dec 2013: Was granted best dissertation Award for 2013 by my department.
- Aug. 2013: Defended my PHD thesis.
- May 2013: The two student teams Klaus Friedrichs and myself supervised in our case studies course this semester just made first AND second place at the data mining cup competition.
- Machine Learning
- Support Vector Machines and Kernel Methods
- Variable Selection
- Model-based Optimization, Kriging and Expected Improvement
- Algorithm Selection
- Algorithm Configuration / Tuning
- R and Statistical Software Development
You can find me on
I am the author or a major contributor to quite a large number of R packages. Nearly all of them are listed and hosted under either my personal github page. They mainly deal with machine learning, optimization and parallelization.
- mlr - A large ML toolbox for R.
- mlrMBO - Model-Based Optimization toolbox.
- OpenML R Package - OpenML connector in R.
- BatchJobs - Run R jobs on HPC clusters.
- BatchExperiments - Structure your experiments nicely, then run them with BatchJobs.
- parallelMap - The names says it. Works also with BatchJobs.
- aslib - Algorithm selection repo.
- aslib-r - aslib connector for R.
- Best dissertation award 2013 from Department of Statistics, TU Dortmund.
- I have regularly taught and lead a student team for the German Data Mining Cup competition. We scored 1st place in 2013 and 2011, and 2nd place in 2010 and 2013.
- Julia Schiffner, Claus Weihs and I won the best paper “Method Award” of the GfKl 2010 conference for our contribution “Bias-Variance Analysis of Local Classification Methods”.
- Hong Qinyuan won the Industrial Challenge of the GECCO 2011 conference for his “Dynamic Linear Trading System”. He submitted his solution as a student under my supervision.
- Best intermediate diploma award in computer science from University of Hamburg.